Monday, August 10, 2015

Webale Nyo

We are coming home tomorrow.

OH. THE. JOY. 

There were truly days where the end of this adventure seemed everlastingly out of reach. Yet here we are, busily trying to see everyone we have come to love one more time. 

Although we have both determined to say only positive things about our summer, I will say this: it was challenging. It was overwhelming sometimes. It was not what we expected. 

It was also necessary. 

Our loving Father in Heaven knew we needed it. I needed it, probably much more than Benji did. Gracefully, I didn't have to do it without my husband. 

A few crucial and life changing lessons I learned this summer:

BE PRESENT. For so long I had a tightness around my heart and an anxiousness in my breath, wishing the time away. I was stressed and I was angry because the time wasn't passing quickly enough. We had many days where neither of us were able to accomplish any schoolwork due to means beyond our control. I spent the time on social media and wishing I was at home, doing all the things everyone else was doing. Only when I released myself from feeling like I was trying to control the time and push it along did I find peace. When I put the iPad down and took in all my five senses, my days started to feel happy and full and to slip along effortlessly. I consider this an incredible tender mercy from God, that He put me in a refining situation to learn this specific lesson before I ever had children. Hopefully their mother will be much more present with them than she would have been. 

TRUST. I've mentioned before how stressful and exhausting it was trying to get clinical hours yada yada. One day we took a different route home from church than normal. We passed Princeton Children's Medical Center and I thought, "maybe they would give me a chance." It took me a few weeks to finally approach them, and I was literally wrapped in their arms. I was humbled by their acceptance and friendship. And, it was one of their doctors who finally had the key that unlocked the door for me to enter Mulago. 

At Mulago, the timing worked out perfectly for me to fulfill clinicals with a North American team. Heavenly Father knew what He was doing all along, and the outcome was more perfect than any arrangement I could have managed myself. 

SIMPLIFY. Especially in regards to testimony. Really, the church is just about faith, obedience, love, and service. So many people are so hung up on minor details (I was one of them). If you go back to and focus on those basic principles, all the little things fall in line naturally. 

I have also been humbled by gratitude for my own Nation, all the things we take for granted every day (911, traffic lights, emergency medicine, insurance, structured addresses, clean water, the list goes on and on...) 

I have been braver about sharing the Gospel than ever before and discovered it isn't as difficult as I had always thought. Just talk to people. If the Gospel is the center of your life, it will be impossible to get to know someone and for them to get to know you without the restored gospel naturally coming up in the conversation. People will be shocked by how you live, and some of them will want to know more. 

I have come to rely on and trust my husband more than ever before. That was a gift given to us in this experience. He has been solid and bright and steady. He's a miracle in my life.

I'm so thankful to be coming home. I'm also so thankful for this challenge and the growth that came because of it. I feel closer to my sisters even though we've been 8,000 miles apart, because we've all struggled with different things this summer and leaned on each other's faith through texts and emails. 

God is in the details of our lives. He's in Uganda. He's in America. We are HIS children and He is in charge. I'm grateful to know that as we keep moving on and learning in whatever comes next for us. 

The title of this post is Luganda for "thank you." Thank you to everyone who has prayed for us and followed this adventure. We've needed you. Can't wait to hug you all soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment