Sunday, July 26, 2015

Culture and the Yoke


I was upset when I first came to Africa because the culture of the Church was different. I felt that everything in this country was so different, "why can't church at least be the same?!" I would leave church on Sunday irritated, confused, and overwhelmed because I was focused on the few members who didn't dress modestly, the few children who ran wild in the halls, the way they sang the hymns, and the way they taught the lessons. I was so focused on how I'm used to Church, in Salt Lake City or Provo Utah, that I thought the differences in Uganda were "wrong" and Utah was "right".

The truth is, the culture is not what is true. The Gospel is true, in it's purest forms of faith, repentance, baptism, obedience, hope, charity, and love. As I've opened my eyes to the Gospel, instead of staying narrowly focused on the cultural differences, I have been humbled and moved. The Saints here seem to understand those pure parts of the Gospel better than many of the Saints in America. They come with their faith and their testimonies, continually eager to learn more and make small improvements every week. They come for God and they come for Christ. And, the Gospel is the "same" no matter which country you're in.

The Savior said, "take my yoke upon you, for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." He said that at a time where the religious leaders were more focused on how many steps the members took each Sabbath than on the devotion of their hearts. When I was first in Africa, I was not yoked with the Savior. I had chosen a yoke and a burden that was heavy, like the Pharisees and Sadducees, too focused on minor details instead of the great and pure vision of the restored Gospel. 

Now, I'm striving to be yoked with Him again. When I was baptised I made covenants to take upon me His name, Always remember Him, and keep His commandments. I also promised to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort. No where in those covenants does it say "judge those who should be judged and criticize everything worth criticizing." He just asks me to try and see people through His eyes and extend love to them. That's all.

I know many people leave the Church because they feel offended or stifled by the culture. They, too, have confused the Gospel with the culture. But all of us, no matter which country or region we may be in, have a responsibility to return to the pure aspects of Christ's perfect Gospel. I believe that when we are yoked with Him, it naturally becomes easier to find the similarities between people, rather than the differences. And truly, when our focus is restored, the 'burden' becomes light.




1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. You can learn that here too, I think it just takes longer to "get it" here. You learned it there in hyper speed! I wish it was easier to see this concept here. It makes it hard for people to come back to church if they feel judged. I don't know who said it, I think it was mother Teresa, "if you judge someone, how will you have time to love them". What a wonderful experience you are having!

    ReplyDelete